What can I do if my lawyer isn't doing his job?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fremont, CA

Two years ago my girlfriend hired a bankruptcy attorney. He demanded money up front, so she paid him. Now two years later he still hasn't been able to complete the process. His normal routine has been to schedule a court date two months in advance. As the date gets closer she will send him a message to confirm and with no explanation he says it's been rescheduled. The only other response she gets is when he says "your new court date is..." And then the process repeats itself.. She doesn't know what to do at this point and neither do I. The likely choice would be to go with someone else but i dont think it's fair he's collected money for essentially doing nothing.. Please help..

1. Neil Pedersen

2

1

Answered . First things first, your girlfriend needs to get an attorney to resolve her bankruptcy so she can financially move on with her life.

If your girlfriend does not believe he has earned the money paid, you have a couple of options. She can file a small claims action and seek her money back. She can go to the county bar association and start a mandatory fee arbitration. And if she believes he as not been truthful with her and has essentially abandoned her case, she can report him to the State Bar of California.

Good luck to you and your girlfriend.

2. Massimo Paternoster

2

Answered . To know more, ask your attorney to give you a breakdown of the hours worked and check if the charged hours actually correspond to the work done.
    You can always find another attorney to take over the case and try to find an amicable solution with your previous attorney.