What can I do if my ex wife is not complying with a court child support and custody order?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Grand Rapids, MI

My ex wife and I were divorced in another state and I was awarded SOLE custody in an undisputed divorce. She moved out of state and stopped paying child support and also stopped all contact with our child. I moved with out of state with our child of course and have been trying to get my new home state(MI) to help me out but it has been almost two years. I dont care about the money, I can prove she is unfit and neglectful and all I want is to legally remove her from my childs life. She has already stopped all communication with my child two years ago but I know legally if something happens to me my child would go to her or if she decided one day to just show up. How can I legally remove her paternity much like a mother would remove a father from the birth cert.?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Ezra N. Goldman

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . If you were to remarry and your new wife wanted to do a step parent adoption, that would do it. But I don't see the court's incentive to replace her with no one, especially when she is not expressing any interest or desire to have any part of custody.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,362 answers this week

2,866 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,362 answers this week

2,866 attorneys answering