What can I do if my employer hasn't paid me for r two months?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

I have been working through a staffing agency since March 2012, but they stop paying me in November but kept telling us that we would get our money on our card, but that never happened, so we went to the office and the employer took our cards and said that they would begin paying us by checks. We haven't been paid for two months and now they are acting like we never worked during these past two month. What are my legal rights and what can I do to get my pay for the time I worked.

1. Jason D. Holbrook

2

Answered . First, find a job that will actually pay you and then quit working at one that doesn't pay.
    Second, hire an experienced attorney to protect your rights and assert a claim.

Visit my firm website via the blue link immediately below this response for more information.

2. Barry A. Stein

Pro

1

Answered . You need to hire a lawyer

3. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

1

Answered . First, stop working for that agency. Your time is better spent working for someone who will pay you, and if you are spending time through that agency, it is time wasted, as you should use that time that you aren't being paid for to find a job that will.

Second, if the agency is still in business, sue, right away, while they are in business. Soon, there will be a long line of workers and creditors doing the same thing.

Thirdly, do not be afraid to retain legal counsel. Florida law allows a worker who sues for wages to recover attorneys fees. That is why it is ESSENTIAL that you not delay any further--all the awards in the world will mean nothing if the company is out of business and has no assets, bank accounts, or account receivables.