What can I do if my employer does not pay me my unsed vacation pay even if it's stated in the employee handbook?

I was recently laid off after 7 years and have a lot of unused vacation due. Our policy manual & employee handbook states that all unused vacation pay will be given if employee is laid off. My employer acknowkledges that I am owed this but says he can't afford to pay me. Do I have any recourse?? How can I collect this, it calculates to a little over $6,000.00.

Tampa, FL -

Attorney Answers (1)

Donna Marie Ballman

Donna Marie Ballman

Employment / Labor Attorney - Fort Lauderdale, FL

The money is owed. Since it's over the limit for filing in small claims court, I'd suggest contacting an attorney about filing a suit for the unpaid money. It is possible that, once the employer realizes an attorney is involved, they may want to work out a settlement. If not, you should be prepared to sue.

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.