What can I do if my boss is stealing my tips?

Sherwood, OR |

I work part time at a fast food sandwich shop and today saw my boss' wife putting the contents of the tip jar into the cash register. I didn't confront her but later told my boss, her husband of the situation. He didn't seem too concerned but said he would take care of it. I went home at the end of my shift and 3 hours later he called me and told me he could not accommodate me on the schedule anymore and to come pick up my last check. This is an owner operated franchise, I don't know if that matters but stealing tips just seems wrong any time. Do I have a legitimate complaint?

1. Stealing your tips is a wage and hour violation. Firing you for complaining about the tips is an unlawful employment practice. You have a legitimate complaint, and a potential claim for damages, including lost wages and emotional distress. You should consult with an attorney about legal representation.

Michael Ross is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation.