What can I do if my attorney sent personal correspondence to the wrong address?

Chalfont, PA |

My wife and I are separated,, and I retained an attorney two days ago. It was determined that she would send all correspondence to my parent's address, to ensure my privacy. My wife just called to tell me that a thick envelope arrived from my lawyer.I am guessing it is my retainer agreement. What recourse do I have to ensure this does not happen again? This is the first transaction with my new lawyer - it doens't leave me with a good feeling.

Sounds to me like a simple mistake. It also sounds like a mistake that a secretary or paralegal might make. I would call your attorney tomorrow and alert her to the error. I can't imagine she would be happy to know something like that was sent to the wrong address.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship. More importantly, the information contained in this answer should not be relied on. You should consult an attorney who practices in the relevant area of the relevant jurisdiction.

Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies, unless otherwise specified.

That being said, that is very embarrassing for the attorney, but mistakes do happen. Find out how this occurred and what your attorney will be doing to deal with it. If is a clear clerical or other small error, don't let it color your opinion of the attorney. However, confidence in your attorney is critical; if you find you aren't satisfied with the answer, you may need to consider retaining new counsel.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at the below address(es) or telephone number.

/Christopher E. Ezold/
The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
One Belmont Avenue,
Suite 501
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
(610) 660-5585
Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
www.ezoldlaw.com

Answered 8 months ago. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Federal law apply, unless otherwise specified. /Christopher E. Ezold/ The Ezold Law Firm, P.C. One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501 Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 (610) 660-5585 Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com www.ezoldlaw.com

For starters, pick up the phone and call her to find out what all the facts are. It is hard to opine on "guessing".

We are a Massachusetts law firm that helps organize and operate businesses and estates with trust, respect, and teamwork. This response is based on Massachusetts or federal law, but does not create an attorney-client relationship. This site provides general information. Please contact a lawyer in your jurisdiction for a solution to your issue.