What can I do if my apartment has mole that is making me sick?

Asked over 2 years ago - Orange Park, FL

I moved into my apartment 3/1/12 nice but after about a month I started to feel tired and did not want to work out as much as before I would wake up doing the night coughing up mucus
lots of it.I started to see white spots on my chairs and my cloths.I told management about it they are sending someone on 7/9/12 to look at it.I use a mask when I am in the house and I feel better also fans and air condition.

1. Jacqueline Alicia Salcines

Pro

2

Answered . I am assuming you mean Mold and not mole. If in fact mold, then what you need to do is send your landlord a certified letter stating the problem and allowing him 7 days to fix it. If the problem is not fixed, then you have the right to either fix it yourself and deduct the monies from your rent or terminate the contract. I would definately enlist the services of a qualified landlord/tenant attorney so you can make sure your deposit is returned and you are compensated for any physical/medical and monetary damages, as mold spreads quickly and will most probably cause damage to furniture, clothes, shoes, etc

2. Kristopher Robert Reilly

Answered . I agree with the advice of my colleague, but I would like to add a few additional points. First and foremost the number one concern is your health and safety. Thus, I would advise going to the doctor to document and to get treated any type of respiratory illness. Additionally, take photos and evidence of the mold which may be benefical to your case if you are sued or must bring a lawsuit. Second, send a certified letter in accordance with applicable Florida Statutes to the landlord stating that they must fix the problem or you will terminate your lease within 7 days. I highly advise you to use an attorney to draft the notice to avoid being sued for a wrongful lease termination in the future. Third, beware of landlord companies that attempt to use bleach to remove the mold as it will not be effective. Best of Luck.

www.krrlaw.com