Skip to main content

What can I do if I was receiving long term disability and the Insurance cancel my income after ME even though my doctor says .

Amarillo, TX |

I'm disabled and I'm waiting on a decision from social security?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It seems you are asking about getting social security disability but the question seems confusing. If you are needing to get SS disability you should hire a local SS disability lawyer in your area to fight for you.

All responses on this site by this attorney are considered practical & general and does not constitute absolute or final legal advice. It is always best to consult a lawyer in your area on your exact case/claim. Each state has different laws, statutes of limitations and regulations. This lawyer is only licensed in the State of Texas. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of GREGG S. HARRISON, PLLC, nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Office of GREGG S. HARRISON PLLC. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. GREGG HARRISON. Visit our website at or call 832-797-7600 to discuss your legal issue; We represent injured persons who have been involved in motor vehicle collisions, 18-wheeler/truck wrecks and motorcycle accidents; all types of general negligence and catastrophic injury claims.


You should contact an SSDI lawyer.


Yes, if you don't already have a Social Security attorney, you should get one of those, but more importantly, you need an employee benefits / ERISA attorney if your long term disability claim was denied. If you look around, you may be able to find someone who can handle both your Social Security disability claim and your long term disability claim at the same time, which is best, in my opinion.

Social Security has what's known as a "treating physician rule." It says that if your own doc says something about you, generally the Agency is going to follow that over what some one-time examining doctor says about you. However, LTD companies don't have to follow that rule, and in many cases they can get away with denying benefits based on a one-time exam by a third-party doc, even if your doc says you're disabled. If you got your LTD coverage through work, your claim is likely governed by a complicated federal law called ERISA, which not many attorneys like to deal with. Ideally, you should hire an ERISA attorney to help you before you finish all the appeals with the LTD company - there's much less an ERISA attorney can do for you if you only hire one after you get a final denial from the LTD company. If you've been denied, and you have an appeal available, talk to someone ASAP. You can try to find someone in your area by searching on this website for an "employee benefits" attorney.

Jeremy Bordelon is a licensed attorney in the State of Tennessee only, and is authorized to practice in all Tennessee State and Federal courts, and before the Social Security Administration in any jurisdiction. The answers provided on are for information purposes only, and should not be relied on as legal advice. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. In some jurisdictions, this answer may be construed as attorney advertising.


If you are seeking to have disability benefits from your insurance company reinstated, the first thing you or your attorney will need to do is determine if your policy is governed by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, or ERISA.

If the policy is not governed by ERISA, then you basically have a breach of contract situation. Hire a lawyer and have them sue the insurance company would be my approach.

However, if your policy is governed by ERISA, you face a much more difficult and uphill battle. If your policy was provided by your employer, and your employer was not a governmental entity or a church, then the policy probably is governed by ERISA. First, after the initial denial, you must exhaust the administrative remedies by appealing the denial. This must be done within 180 days of the denial. The insurance company then has up to 90 days to review its original decision and make a new decision on your claim. After the appeal process is complete you will have the right to bring suit in federal court before a judge, and almost certainly there will not be a jury and no discovery. Because of these circumstances, the appeal process is particularly important.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer