What can I do if I'm married to a man in a different county, but my kids' dad won't give me permission to move with the kids?

Doniphan, MO |
Filed under: Family law

My kids' father won't give me permission to move with the kids to the county that my husband lives in because the kids' father doesn't like my husband, so what can I do to move to the county that my husband lives in?

There is a statute that must be followed (452.377). You are going to best off having an attorney help you with this.

The contents of this post do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Any comments made in this post are general in nature and may not apply to the specific facts and law of your case.

This is what family law courts are for. In the court in which the current custody order was entered, petition for modification that includes the rights to move the residence of the children. Be aware that movaway disputes are difficult for family court judges, who must weigh a variety of factors. Perhaps the most important concern will be how the move impacts on the ability of the children's father to continue his present involvement with the children. You, of course, can live wherever you wish. What the court maintains jurisdiction over is where the children live.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

What does that mean?

Paula Brown Sinclair

Paula Brown Sinclair

It means that one possible outcome is that the children will live with their father, and it also means that being represented by adept and experienced local counsel can make a big difference in the outcome.

Courts are reluctant to limit a child's access to a parent due to the personal choices of the other parent, unless the court finds it is in the child's best interests.