What can I do if I have been framed by police? Can my attorney do anything to counter, or atleast have the reports suppressed?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Ontario, CA

I recently read the police report in my case. Six out of the approximately 12 officers lied about what happened. Some officers left out exonerating evidence. Some used unnecessary words like I "barricaded" myself in my apartment, when I was simply sleeping like I normally would be doing at 6:00 am. I had no idea that they wanted to arrest me on false allegations. So they broke in and attacked me. After they realized they used excessive force, they started to cover up there mistake. The police officers are making me the scapegoat and threatening my livelihood. I'm very scared and angry. There has to be something. Government agents cannot ruin people's lives like this. I don't care how often it happens, it is wrong. An innocent civilian has to have some recourse.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John M. Kaman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your recourse is to hire a great lawyer, then follow his advice. It may be you have to take this to trial. If you do and win you may have a claim against the city or county the police worked for.

  2. Eric Darnell Anderson


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Just to add to Mr. Kamen's response, keep in mind that the police report itself is not evidence so the report itself will not be entered as evidence. The alleged statements made by you (if any) and the alleged observations recorded by the officer(s) can be used at trial or at motion to suppress hearing.

    You should hire an attorney to address this matter. Keep in mind that the police are allowed to be wrong about arrests so long as the mistake is based upon a good faith basis. As to any cover-up, these are facts you should discuss with your counsel. You may also have a claim, depending upon all of the facts and circumstances, under both state and federal Civil Rights violations. You should discuss this with an attorney as well in order to preserve your rights under the California Government Claims Act.

    This does it create an attorney-client relationship. That costs money and this is free.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,587 answers this week

2,777 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,587 answers this week

2,777 attorneys answering