What can I do if I believe my attorney was unprepared for my DUI Jury Trial?

Asked over 1 year ago - El Paso, TX

I was recently convicted of a DUI offense and I believe this was due to my attorney being unprepared. He had no idea where I was pulled over, who I was with, what I was wearing, or where I was coming from. He proceeded to yell at my jury and carry on like a mad man. I was horrified by his actions. Not to mention that I DID NOT hire him in the beginning, my case was transferred from another attorney due to a big upcoming case. I feel as though I was poorly represented and now, I can't even get him to return my phone calls. I've been attempting to contact him for 2 weeks now, and he has not bothered to return any of my phone calls. I think my biggest mistake was paying them in full. After they got my money, I was no longer a priority.

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

4

Answered . I'm not sure why you think it was a mistake to pay your attorney in full. If you don't pay your attorney, he's not going to have your trial. It sounds like another associate in the firm represented you? That was probably addressed in your written retainer agreement when you hired the firm--or at least, it should have been if the firm wanted to reserve that option.

You're only option at this point is to appeal. I would consult a few appellate attorneys in your area to find out their fees and how they think they could help.

2. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

5

1

Answered . It is odd that you hired a private attorney and then somebody else represented you at trial. That should have immediately raised some red flags. I suggest trying to schedule an in person meeting with the attorney you originally hired. Beyond that, you may want to consider consulting with an appellate attorney. However, successfully appealing the conviction is no guarantee and can get very expensive. Good luck

Jasen Nielsen

3. Christopher Irvin Simser

3

1

Answered . Attorney Nielsen's analysis is 100% correct.

If you can not get an acceptable response from your retainer lawyer, you can also speak with the bar association in your area. They will assist you in receiving a response, and will also discuss your options to remedy any deficiencies in your representation.

Good luck to you.