WHAT CAN I DO IF I BELEIVE I WAS NOT REPRESENTED PROPERLY BY MY ATTORNEY?

Asked over 2 years ago - Cleveland, OH

IWAS FOUND GUILTY OF A SECOND OVI WITHIN 6 YEARS. I SPOKE TO MY ATTORNEY TWICE BEFORE COURT. THE FIRS TIME WAS WHEN I CALLED HIM WHILE AT COURT WAITING FOR HIM TO SHOW UP, HE INFORMED ME MY COURT DATE WAS POSPONED. THE SECOND TIME WAS AT COURT HE TOLD ME THERE WAS NO GETTING OUT OF DOING JAIL TIME SO DON'T EVEN THINK I'M JUST GOING TO HAVE TO PAY A FINE. WE WENT BEFORE THE JUDGE I PLEAD NO CONTEST, MY ATTORNEY SAID NOTHING ON MY BEHALF. I JUST GRADUATED COLLEGE, I HAVE NO CRIMINAL RECORD. I JUST GOT OUT OF THE HOSPITAL. I WAS BEING TREATD FOR DENGERATIVE DISC DISEASE AND COPD.

1. 1

Answered . If you were in a court around Cleveland, I would recommend calling Mark Gardner or Ken Bossin to discuss your case. Without knowing ALL of the facts of the case, it's difficult to say whether anything can be done or not.

Having a plea set aside after sentencing is EXTREMELY difficult (but not impossible). Getting the conviction reversed on appeal based on ineffective assistance of counsel is another option, but also not that likely.

Call one of the attorneys I mentioned above asap because you only have 30 days from the date of sentencing to file an appeal.