Skip to main content

What can I do if I asked for an attorney and the detectives told me no because they weren't asking questions at that time?

Washington, DC |

After interrogation they locked me in their departments holding cell for 8+ hours with no drinks or restroom. I asked if I was under arrest and they said no. I told them I was finished. They still wouldn't let me leave. A few or so hours after I asked for an attorney, they came back badgering me trying to get me to confess to something with their lies. You know the routine. I'm guilty of nothing but they took me to jail over the night for obstruction of justice. They were in the wrong. I know this is violation of my constitutional rights. I would be happy to hire who can give the best advice. Especially, since my original attorney for guardianship changes is who I would have hired and he is the judge on this case.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You need to stop posting this very same question over and over.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

  2. It sounds like your case is loaded with constitutional rights deprivations; from unlawful seizure to 5th amendment Right to Silence. I would hire an attorney sooner rather than later, but I think you understand that already.

    The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal advice, one must engage with a live attorney; this answer does not create such attorney-client relationship.

  3. You should definitely hire a criminal defense attorney. Someone who specializes in criminal defense in the jurisdiction in which all this took place. Obstruction of justice is a serious charge and in DC it is a very broad statute.

    This response does not constitute legal advice. It is intended for educational purposes only.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics