What can I do if I asked for an attorney and the detectives told me no because they weren't asking questions at that time?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

After interrogation they locked me in their departments holding cell for 8+ hours with no drinks or restroom. I asked if I was under arrest and they said no. I told them I was finished. They still wouldn't let me leave. A few or so hours after I asked for an attorney, they came back badgering me trying to get me to confess to something with their lies. You know the routine. I'm guilty of nothing but they took me to jail for the night for obstruction of justice. They were in the wrong. I believe this is violation of my constitutional rights. I would be happy to hire who can give the best advice. Especially, since my original attorney that I have always hired is the judge of this trial coming up. I obviously can't pay him to defend me.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . If your original lawyer is now a Judge, he/she is going to have to recuse him/herself from the case.
    The issue you raise is only an issue if you made any statements to the police. You need a good lawyer anyway for trial so I suggest you retain a criminal defense lawyer. I handle the cases all the time.

2. Marco Caviglia

Pro

3

Answered . The judge will have to recuse himself as judge, and it is an open question under the rules if he can represent you or not as an attorney before a different judge ( who in turn may recuse because of knowing the judge as a judge, etc.). Anyway, a violation to right of counsel translates into, if proven, suppression of evidence obtained as a result of that violation. You state they interrogated you. The issue will focus upon whether you were deprived counsel before you were interrogated and the use of any statements made at that time.

3. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

2

Answered . The judge in your case should be disqualified.

One or more answers have been taken down.