What can I do if a hospital is trying to garnish my work wages?

Asked over 2 years ago - Mc Calla, AL

I was in the hospital for several months, thinking my insurance was covering the costs. It didn't, and now the hospital is garnishing my wages.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The only way a garnishment is allowed in Alabama is after a judgment has been entered against you.

    Have you been sued? Did you get served? Did you lose the lawsuit?

    Remember there is a difference in being threatened to be sued or to be garnished and actually being sued, losing, and then being garnished.

    Get with a consumer protection lawyer or a bankruptcy lawyer. There are a number of lawyers in Jefferson County that can help you.

    Best wishes

    John G. Watts
    Birmingham, Alabama

    No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal... more
  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should seek the advice of an experienced consumer attorney. Bankruptcy may or may not be the best option for you. Were you served with a lawsuit by the hospital? If not, a judgment may have wrongfully been taken against you. You may have defenses available. All of your options , including bankruptcy, should be considered. The above having been said, bankruptcy will almost certainly stop the garnishment immediately upon filing. You may even be entitled to a return of some of the garnished money. Best wishes!

  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Bankruptcy may be your best option. Talk to an attorney before you do anything. Most give free consultations.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The... more
  4. Answered . It is possible you can claim exemptions if your wages aren't that low and stop the garnishment at the courthouse where the judgment was taken. Otherwise bankruptcy may be the next best alternative as the other attorneys have stated.

    There are many factors that can affect how best to handle this matter and the best advise is usually to hire an... more
  5. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You do have to pay for the medical treatment you received. Your insurer will only cover things that you paid an insurance premium to cover. So you can pay the judgement or your wages will be garnished.

  6. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . 1. Claim applicable exemptions.
    2. Consider bankruptcy.

Related Topics

Wage garnishment

Wage garnishment is the process whereby your employer sends part of your paycheck directly to your creditor in order to pay off your debt.

Dorothy G Bunce

Wage Garnishment

If you have a wage garnishment or if your bank account has been attached by a creditor, you may be mad or you may just be frightened. You don't need to be a victim because the law provides... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,482 answers this week

3,916 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,482 answers this week

3,916 attorneys answering