Skip to main content

What can I do if a food product you purchased contains a foreign object?

Fredericksburg, VA |

I recently purchased a can of Tuna and as I was eating it I felt something hard and sharp in my mouth and started to choke, when I spit it out it was two pieces of what I think is bone. I saved the can and the bones that I spit out. I went on the website of the manufacturer and registered a complaint and it stated on the site that someone would be in contact with me.I am concerned because I digested some of the tuna already. What legal action if any can I take against the company?

Attorney Answers 2


You did the right thing by contacting the manufacturer and y saving the can and product.

Hopefully you do not become ill as a result of this. If you do not get sick, I do not think that any type of formal legal action would be worth pursuing. However, this does not preclude you from trying to settle directly wit hteh company.

Mark as helpful

4 found this helpful


A claim for negligence requires damages that luckily you did not suffer. You may get a coupon or free product from the company if you write a letter and enclose the object found in the product.

Good luck.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful