What can I do if a creditor supplies different information for verification than what's on my credit report?

Asked over 2 years ago - Rockville, MD

I just received a debt verification response from a collection agency that clearly does not address the verification items I requested. Also the original creditor's name is different than the one on my report. What can I do about this?

1. 1

Answered . You may have a legal action against the creditor. Write a letter demanding your requested response, and send it certified mail.

2. Answered . Hold your ground and do not pay.

3. Answered . If the creditor has failed to provide the proper proof after you sent a letter, you may have a claim under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. You should reach out to a local law firm who handles these cases, especially due to the fact that there is a fee shift provision in the FDCPA which makes the creditor pay your attorney fees if you are successful. This is why many times they settle prior to filing a law suit.