What can I do if a creditor supplies different information for verification than what's on my credit report?

Rockville, MD |

I just received a debt verification response from a collection agency that clearly does not address the verification items I requested. Also the original creditor's name is different than the one on my report. What can I do about this?

1. Hold your ground and do not pay.

This answer does not create an attorney client relationship between you and I. I am not your attorney unless we both sign a written contract that describes our relationship and terms of the representation. Any information provided to you here is not a substitute for the advice you need to pursue any legal matter. I advise you to retain the services of a local attorney before taking any legal action in this matter.

2. You may have a legal action against the creditor. Write a letter demanding your requested response, and send it certified mail.

3. If the creditor has failed to provide the proper proof after you sent a letter, you may have a claim under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. You should reach out to a local law firm who handles these cases, especially due to the fact that there is a fee shift provision in the FDCPA which makes the creditor pay your attorney fees if you are successful. This is why many times they settle prior to filing a law suit.