What can I do and How can I prove harassment,slander,and defamation of character?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oak Ridge, TN

I moved to Tn from Ohio about 3 years ago. I have family that lives here. I got remarried when i moved here. My husbands mother,(my mother n law) does not like me,because she knows of some of my family. My mother n law has been going around telling other people including her family, that I steal from her grand daughter(my 5 year old step daughter) that I do drugs, that i am using my husband for money(he has been laid off of work for almost a year now) that I am a drunk,(I do drink on my birthday and new years if i do not have my kids), she has made false statements about my 12 year old daughters medication(she as adhd) to family members, so now my daughter is getting picked on at school,because of my husbands younger family members go to school with my daughter and harassing us on the net

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Inter-family squabbles and dischord make for the most difficult and often unsuccessful defamation lawsuits to prosecute, and are still expensive to pursue. Statements made in the form of opinions, as compared to statements of fact only are not actionable, although arguably you present both types [calling you a drunk = opinion; saying you stole = fact]. It would seem that you should have your husband speak with his mother to bring this bickering to an end. You can also try to hire an attorney to send your mother a Cease and Desist letter, in the hopes that will reign ner in without the need for further consideration about a lawsuit - where all the "dirty laundry" will be aired.

  2. Anne Marie Breslin

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You're not going to improve your family life by bringing a lawsuit.

    I suggest you consider meeting with a family therapist to assist you in coping with this difficult situation and get pointers on how to deal with this difficult and untruthful woman.

    This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Due to the... more
  3. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Have your husband resolve this. A defamation lawsuit would likely cost more than would be recovered.

Related Topics

Personal injury and defamation

Defamation is any type of emotional or psychological personal injury that occurs when someone intentionally harms another’s character or reputation.

Personal injury and libel

Libel is the written or visual defamation of another person’s character. False statements can damage someone’s reputation, so it is a type of personal injury.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,107 answers this week

3,338 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,107 answers this week

3,338 attorneys answering