What can I do against online stalking and harassment?

Asked about 4 years ago - New York

I have been the victim of a stalker for a couple of months. The person writes me emails, creates fake profiles on social networking sites and spreads false rumours about me. The person has also contacted my family.
I donĀ“t know what to do since the person who is stalking me does not live in the same country.
I wonder what I need to do, can the person be punished?
I was wondering if I might sue the person he/she may have a criminal record then and may not be allowed to enter the US again.
I just really want this person to stop.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Herbert J Tan

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Are you sure they are based outside of the country?

    Herbert Tan, Esq.
    E-mail: Herbert@tanlaws.com
    Website: www.tanlaws.com

    The National Newark Building
    744 Broad Street, 16th Fl.
    Newark, New Jersey 07102
    (973) 735-2681 (W)
    (973) 735-2682 (F)

    Manhattan Office
    305 Broadway, 14th Floor
    New York, New York 10007
    (888) TAN-LAWS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,199 answers this week

3,268 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,199 answers this week

3,268 attorneys answering