What can I do after filing a police report for stalking?

Asked over 2 years ago - Knoxville, TN

Me and a friend of mine began receiving emails from an anonymous gmail user months back. They increased without stopping and in the emails, the user is attacks our character and actions which is false but must mean they're observing what we do daily and disapprove. My friend filed a police report that is listed under stalking but since then, she hasn't received another email. Is there anything more we can do? What should we except now that the report has been filed? Any advice is appreciated.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Anthony John Colleluori

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Short of suing the stalker (whom you do not know I am assuming) there isn't much you can do. If you want to sue, you need to find an attorney who has a background in investigation of Internet cases. He will file a John Doe suit and subpoena the ISP records from the Internet carrier. They should be able to tell him who had the address at the time of the e-mail however if the person is smart he or she acted while in a hot spot and it may not be possible to determine who the exact person was who sent the e-mail. Since the chances of any of this yielding an attorney fee is nil, you will have to pay this person a handsome sum up front. Be prepared for a very large fee.

    Good luck

    This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,703 answers this week

2,992 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,703 answers this week

2,992 attorneys answering