What can I do after filing a police report for stalking?

Knoxville, TN |

Me and a friend of mine began receiving emails from an anonymous gmail user months back. They increased without stopping and in the emails, the user is attacks our character and actions which is false but must mean they're observing what we do daily and disapprove. My friend filed a police report that is listed under stalking but since then, she hasn't received another email. Is there anything more we can do? What should we except now that the report has been filed? Any advice is appreciated.

1. Short of suing the stalker (whom you do not know I am assuming) there isn't much you can do. If you want to sue, you need to find an attorney who has a background in investigation of Internet cases. He will file a John Doe suit and subpoena the ISP records from the Internet carrier. They should be able to tell him who had the address at the time of the e-mail however if the person is smart he or she acted while in a hot spot and it may not be possible to determine who the exact person was who sent the e-mail. Since the chances of any of this yielding an attorney fee is nil, you will have to pay this person a handsome sum up front. Be prepared for a very large fee.

Good luck

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for information purposes. Since the facts of each case are different, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions.