What can I do about stolen photos online?

Phoenix, AZ |

Someone I decided to stop doing business with has took it upon themselves to seek revenge by taking photos I uploaded onto facebook of photography I took and developed, using it to promote their own personal site. Is there anything I could do to make this person stop?

1. As the photographer, the you own the copyrights in the photographs. You can immediately send a take-down notice to Facebook pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act demanding that Facebook take down the photographs. You also should register the photographs with the U.S. Copyright Office. Registration is a prerequisite to filing suit for copyright infringement. If the takedown notice does not work, then you may need to file suit for copyright infringement. Before undertaking any of these steps, you should retain intellectual property litigation counsel to represent you. Self-help is never a good idea in a situation like this---you need a lawyer.

2. I agree. The most efficient way to have the photographs removed from Facebook is to send a DMCA takedown notice.

You probably should consult with a copyright attorney to help you devise a strategy to protect the copyright rights in your work, which would include registering your copyrights with the U.S. Copyright Office. You need to do this to maximize your options when someone infringes on your copyright rights.

I am an attorney, but I am not your attorney. My input on Avvo should be seen as information only and does not form an attorney-client relationship between us.

3. While I cannot give you legal advice in this forum, there are administrative procedures that can be used to remove unathorized photos from the web, and you should try them. However, given that they are on a personal website, you will most likely have to have an attorney help you. Your recourse may be a lawsuit.

THIS RESPONSE IS INTENDED TO CONVEY GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY. IT SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON OR TAKEN AS LEGAL ADVICE. FURTHER, THIS RESPONSE IS NOT INTENDED TO AND DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.