What can I do about someone claiming my children on their taxes that is not supposed to ?

Asked about 2 years ago - Charlotte, NC

It came to my attention that the CNA that takes care of my terminally ill son has been claiming him as well as my other children on her taxes? I only found out because she left he tax info up on my computer screen Smh..... What can I do about this and now I'm concerned she used his social security number for other things how do I find out ?? I feel so betrayed I trusted her to car for my son not take advantage I have already terminated her services but now what ?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Evan A Nielsen

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have a legal right to the deductions, go ahead and claim them. The iIRS will identify any discrepancies and give you the opportunity to verify if necessary. You can also report the info directly. Good luck!

    Evan A. Nielsen

    Disclaimer: I have not been retained as your attorney. My response is provided for educational and informational... more
  2. Christopher Michael Larson

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can claim them if they are entitled, but keep in mind, the exemptions for your children are not yours, and you decide who gets to take them. A taxpayer looks at the factors to determine if they qualify to claim the child, and sometimes, if nobody else claims them, they do. So your best bet would be to claim them and they will deny her the exemptions.

    Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Attorney - Bellevue, Everett, Seattle
    Tax Attorney - Bellevue
    Tax Attorney - Everett
    Tax Attorney - Federal Way
    Tax Attorney - Kirkland
    Bellevue IRS Contact
    Seattle Bankruptcy Attorney
    Seattle Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney
    Seattle Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Attorney
    Bellevue Estate Planning Attorney

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,145 answers this week

3,296 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,145 answers this week

3,296 attorneys answering