What can i do about owe rent to my landlord

Springfield, MA |

MY SOCIAL SERCURITY CHECK GOT STOP FOR JUST NOVEMBER AND NOW MY LANDLORD TOLD ME I BETTER GET SOME MONEY BY THIS MONDAY AND I CANT TILL DECEMBER 3RD AND MY LANDLORD DIDNT FIX MY FRONT DOOR ITS A FIRE HAZARD BUT I WILL PAY HIM ON DEC 3

If you have a lease and if you contest the eviction then you can't actually be evicted before the 3rd, unless the process started some time ago. It takes longer than that to evict.

If you become current on your rent on the 3rd, then you may be able to stay if it hasn't happened recently. but if you want to know your precise rights, you should contact a local attorney.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

there is no eviction yet he just told me he needs his money by monday and i told him my checks got stop for ths month and have to wait to dec 3 but we found a cheaper and better landlord near by and she said we can move in by dec 15

You should try to pay him as soon as you can. According to Massachusetts law, a landlord can't evict someone without court permission, which takes a long time. If you get a letter from him called a Notice to Quit saying that you have to leave by a certain date because you haven't paid your rent, pay attention to the date on the letter. If you can pay by that date and you haven't gotten a previous notice to quit in the past 12 months, the landlord has to reinstate your tenancy. Even if that's not the case, he would then have to start a court case against you and if you get the money together by then, it's unlikely a judge would allow the eviction to go forward. If you are concerned about repairs not being done and the landlord is not being responsive, you should call your local board of health to have an inspector come out to the property since they can then force the landlord to make repairs. Good luck!

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

I HAVE ANOTHER APARTMENT READY FOR ME ON DEC 5 IF I WANT IT BUT HOW CAN I GET OUT OF THE LEASE BECASUE HE WONT FIX NOTHING

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant