What can i do about owe rent to my landlord

Asked almost 3 years ago - Springfield, MA

MY SOCIAL SERCURITY CHECK GOT STOP FOR JUST NOVEMBER AND NOW MY LANDLORD TOLD ME I BETTER GET SOME MONEY BY THIS MONDAY AND I CANT TILL DECEMBER 3RD AND MY LANDLORD DIDNT FIX MY FRONT DOOR ITS A FIRE HAZARD BUT I WILL PAY HIM ON DEC 3

1. Erik Hammarlund

Best Answer

Answered . If you have a lease and if you contest the eviction then you can't actually be evicted before the 3rd, unless the process started some time ago. It takes longer than that to evict.

If you become current on your rent on the 3rd, then you may be able to stay if it hasn't happened recently. but if you want to know your precise rights, you should contact a local attorney.

2. Christopher Saccardi

2

Answered . You should try to pay him as soon as you can. According to Massachusetts law, a landlord can't evict someone without court permission, which takes a long time. If you get a letter from him called a Notice to Quit saying that you have to leave by a certain date because you haven't paid your rent, pay attention to the date on the letter. If you can pay by that date and you haven't gotten a previous notice to quit in the past 12 months, the landlord has to reinstate your tenancy. Even if that's not the case, he would then have to start a court case against you and if you get the money together by then, it's unlikely a judge would allow the eviction to go forward. If you are concerned about repairs not being done and the landlord is not being responsive, you should call your local board of health to have an inspector come out to the property since they can then force the landlord to make repairs. Good luck!