What can I do about my sister who has power of attorney but miss uses the money

Asked about 1 year ago - Greenbelt, MD

My sister and brother is going on shopping sprees with my mother's money this has been going on for year's my mother doesn't have enough money for her medication. What could be done to stop this?

1. David Raymond Mahood

Pro

5

Answered . There are a lot of details necessary to give a good answer to your query which you have left out. Does your mother herself believe your sister and brother are stealing or misusing her money? Or is your mother ok with your siblings getting some benefits from her money? If you try to step in and save your mother when she does not want you to save her, you could find yourself on the "outs" and then you will be in a worse position. On the other hand, if your siblings are committing elder abuse, and your mother is a really vulnerable person, then you should consult with an elder law attorney to get the legal advice you need. I am going to tag your question for elder law also to direct it to those attorneys.

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

4

Answered . Mr. Mahood offers a good practical answer. The short answer to your question is that you need to file to become her guardian or conservator - which means only you have access to her accounts but can only use them for her (Mom's) good.

3. Vance Tate Davis

4

Answered . I agree with the answers you've already been given, but I'd just also add that IF your mother is competent, she could certainly revoke the power of attorney and appoint a new agent. In any event, I recommend that you consult with an experienced elder law attorney in your area.

4. Michael Camporeale

Pro

1

Answered . Retain a lawyer and file a petition to have yourself appointed guardian over your mother.