What can I do about my neighbors trespassing?

Asked over 2 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

Every so often, my neighbor feels that he can come onto my property (usually when I'm sleeping or not at home). He takes my umbrella, uses my trash can, crosses my porch to go onto another neighbor’s porch, dumps their snow on my side of the property, runs over my trash can with their car, etc.
Most recently, he has built a fence. The opening part of their fence comes onto my property. They also have stepping stones on my property leading to the opening of their fence.
This morning, when I woke up, I went to my back room and heard a drilling noise that sounded really close. When I looked out of my back window, I saw my neighbor’s brother in my backyard drilling something on their fence.
My neighbors know how I feel about them coming onto my property, yet they won't stop. What can I do?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . I do not practice law in your state, so anything I say is only general information and you should consult with an attorney in your area before acting. It appears that you ahve no interest in trying to maintain good relations with this neighbor, so it's time for a cease and desist letter to be sent certified telling the owners of this property that they are not to continue trespassing on your land for ANy reason. and this includes: (list it, including their taking or "borrowing" your stuff without permission, coming on to your land to maintian their property and putting a get to open onto your property. If they ignore the letter, then you need to file suit to enjoin them from continuing to do it and possibly add a nuisance suit and civil trespass and possibly ask for damages if they've cost you anything, including if your property value is harmed from the placement of their gate/stepping stoned, etc... Your peace of mind is absloutely worth a 30 minute or 1 hour consultation with an attorney and it may be wise to let the attorney handle the whole thing. Have you contacted the police about any of this and asked the police to give a verbal trespass warning? In some instances that stops thoughtless behavior, but it seems this is much more than inconsideratemenss.

    This is not intended to be legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. If more information is needed,... more

Related Topics

Residential property

Residential property is real estate that has been developed or zoned to be used for living, such as single family houses, apartments or mobile home parks.

Neighbor law

Neighbor law deals with the legal rights and responsibilities involved with having neighbors. Examples include boundary disputes, noise, and blocked views.

Carl Engstrand

Arizona - Dog Bite Common Questions

This article’s purpose is to give the reader a brief glimpse into the aftermath of a dog bite. It is not intended as a full picture of a dog bite case. If you or a loved one is the victim... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,580 answers this week

3,707 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,580 answers this week

3,707 attorneys answering