Skip to main content

What can I do about my Father's will in the UK?

Kansas City, MO |

I am having an issue relating to my my late father's will. The executor of the will is my great uncle, as I live in the USA and my family all live in the UK. My father part owned 7 properties with my great uncle and left them to me so that I would receive money each quarter after he passed, and also a cash amount to be distributed monthly.

Basically, the executor is not executing the will. I have received one payment from the properties which is thousands of British pounds less than it should have been, and although my fathers estate is now through probate, he is not distributing anything and I heavily suspect him of embezzling the money. I am trying to figure this out over telephone conversations and am not getting anywhere.

I need to find out how to get a copy of my fathers will, as I'm not being given the solicitors address by the executor, and I need to know the exact situation before perhaps starting legal proceedings. This is all based in the UK by the way, so please bear that in mind, law and resource-wise, as I am still living in the US.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am very sorry for your loss and the situation you now find yourself in. I see no alternative for you other than to hire a solicitor or barrister in the UK to investigate and pursue this on your behalf. You are not going to be able to do anything over here, on your own. Perhaps that is your uncle's feeling as well, and perhaps that is why he is taking liberties, if he is in fact doing as it appears.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


I am sorry for your loss. You need to hire a solicitor in England to review the matter. Hire your own solicitor not one used by other members of the family. If not sure where to start you can look for an attorney that is licensed there as well as here or a firm that has branches in the US and there, but that is likely expensive. What you need is a solicitor whose primary practice is in estate law and real estate law to review the probate documents and deeds to see what should be happening and if necessary possibly hire a barrister to commence legal proceedings in court to compel accounting, etc....While England has reformed its court system since the days when Dickens wrote Bleak House, estate litigation can still be expensive.


I know that several of the firms here have offices in the UK. I suggest you contact several of them to get pointed in the right direction as far as retaining a solicitor to assist you in this matter.

Legal disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of Missouri only, and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to Missouri. This answer is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation, and is for promotional purposes only. You should never rely on this answer alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney-client relationship. less

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer