What can I do about my ex wife filing her taxes using MY exemptions?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

In the divorce settlement I was given both my daughters as exemptions for tax filing. Last year I filed for 2011 but received a notice that they couldn't accept it because my dependents had been used on another persons filings. I had no doubt & figured it was the ex-wife. They advised me to mail in my return and that they would investigate. Now this year I attempt to file for 2012 & again the same thing. I had contacted the IRS last year for 2011 filing & offered to submit copy of the divorce settlement proving that I was entitled to claim them but they said to hold off on sending anything. That they would investigate. Is there anything I can or should do about it? I understand its up to the IRS but I don't want to keep having this issue every time I file. Is there no reprimand for her?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are various options you could do. You could have her held liable for the tax benefit you would have or what she received. Also contempt or other modifications.

    This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation.... more
  2. Dara J. Goldsmith


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Review your decree and property settlement agreement. Make sure that you are entitled to the exemption each year. Sometimes it alternates. You may want to contact your divorce attorney about filing a motion in your case for a violation of the decree by your wife.

    This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship. The response is solely intended to... more
  3. Scott Richard Kaufman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,006 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,006 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering