What can I do about my boss' abuse?

Asked over 2 years ago - Minneapolis, MN

I work for a very small office company in a VERY small blue collar town (population 350) with corrupt police and city officials.At my job recently, my boss (female) has been coming into my office and slapping me for any little thing I do wrong (forgot to refill the paper in the printer, left the lights on before I left for the night, didn't take the trash out of the lunch room). It started off with her coming in and slapping me with just her bare hand 4 or 5 times, now she has been using a belt across my shoulders and legs 10-15 times. She says that if I go to the police, she'll tell them that I've been sexually harassing her and that the other employees and police will believe her (her cousin is the chief of police) and I'll go to jail. I don't know what to do.

1. Michael James Wang

2

Answered . One thing I'd like to add to other responses already given is that you should consider setting up a recording device in your office. In Minnesota, you only need one party to consent to having conversations recorded for it to be legal. I'm assuming you would consent to the recordation.

If you record these kinds of conversations/encounters, it provides a judge and a jury pretty strong evidence in your favor.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

3

Answered . Talk with an experienced employment attorney in Minneapolis about bringing a civil claim for sexual harassment and battery.

3. Marilynn Mika Spencer

Best Answer

Answered . I am a California attorney and not eligible to give legal advice in your state. The following is information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT PROVIDE SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION.

You commented that you are concerned no one will believe you because you are male and your supervisor is female. Please don't let that stop you from taking action to protect yourself and get this behavior to stop. While it is true this kind of behavior is more commonly done by men against women, a very important element is that it is your supervisor doing these things. She has power over you and is abusing it. Most people in the employment law arena understand how power can be abused, and most of us have seen this kind of thing more than once.

As another attorney mentioned, think about evidence. For example, if she is using a belt on you, it is probably leaving a red mark or maybe even a welt. Go into the mens' room and take your shirt off and photograph the marks. If the marks are still visible after work, show them to a friend or family member. Better still, go to a doctor and establish a medical record. Keep a running log of each event, including the date, time, what was said and by whom, and who else was present or within earshot. If you have a therapist, tell the therapist. If you participate in a religious organization, tell the minister or priest and show your wounds. You will need evidence.

By the way, one cannot be jailed for sexual harassment. If a person commits a criminal offense such as battery or sexual battery, and if the person is prosecuted, and if a jury finds the person found guilty, and if the judge sentences the person to jail time, then the person goes to jail. But not for sexual harassment.

I assume you've been looking for other employment and I'm sure it's hard in a very small town, especially during these economic times. Please don't give up. You risk more than physical harm; you also risk psychological harm that can stay with you forever.

As other attorneys have said, you need to get legal counsel. To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in your area, please go to the web site of the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA). NELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the country for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is www.nela.org, and you can search for attorneys by location and practice area.

I wish you the very best in this terrible situation.

4. Michael S. Haber

Pro

2

Answered . Ms. Mccall gives you good advice. Just one other thing that I want to add: Think evidence.

Good luck to you.