What can I do about my bank giving information out to my daughter, she was only listed as P.O.D?

Cincinnati, OH |

I was told POD means only when I die my daughter would know about my acct. Recently my daughter got a statement of my acct. Stating I was overdrawn, which it was paid 3 days before they sent that out. My daught had no clue as to why she had to pay this, & thought it was going to go bad on her credit. Other than going to the bank can I sue them for releasing my info?

1. You need to see a consume attorney and take the document that are describing as a pod with you

Kazerouni Law Group, APC is a law firm concentrating its efforts in the area of consumer law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692 et seq. (“FDCPA”), and California's Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, California Civil Code §§ 1788-1788.32 ("Rosenthal Act"). Our lawyers are specially trained in the Federal FDCPA, Consumer Defense, and other consumer related matters. Our goal is to protect you against unfair, deceptive and abusive debt collection practices. Creditors, professional debt collectors, and attorneys who violate the law are subject to paying damages, statutory penalties, and the consumer's attorneys fees and costs. If you feel you have been abused, deceived or treated unfairly, you may need a lawyer. We can be reached at 800-400-6808, or through one of the evaluation forms on this or at our own website at www.kazlg.com. The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or as forming an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship between the reader and Abbas Kazerounian has been formed. If you are in the State of California and would be interested in a formal free consultation either visit Kazerouni Law Group, APC website at www.kazlg.com or call me toll free at 800-400-6808.

2. The designation of POD means (Payable on Death). This does not mean, as you stated, that when you die your daughter would "know about" your account. It means that she will receive the bank account and all of the funds in it.

Most banks send nothing to someone listed as POD as your daughter is here. You can list anyone as POD and not even tell them, so some people never even know they were POD until the account holder passes away.

There is absolutely no issue of your overdraft having an effect on the credit of the POD beneficiary. Her credit cannot be affected by your bank account. Nor is she responsible for your overdraft and the fees associated.

As you whether or not the bank is liable for sending the statements, you need to speak with an attorney. I practice in the Cincinnati area if you haven't already contacted one. My information should be available in my profile.