What can I do about my bank giving information out to my daughter, she was only listed as P.O.D?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cincinnati, OH

I was told POD means only when I die my daughter would know about my acct. Recently my daughter got a statement of my acct. Stating I was overdrawn, which it was paid 3 days before they sent that out. My daught had no clue as to why she had to pay this, & thought it was going to go bad on her credit. Other than going to the bank can I sue them for releasing my info?

1. Stephen John Ball

Answered . The designation of POD means (Payable on Death). This does not mean, as you stated, that when you die your daughter would "know about" your account. It means that she will receive the bank account and all of the funds in it.

Most banks send nothing to someone listed as POD as your daughter is here. You can list anyone as POD and not even tell them, so some people never even know they were POD until the account holder passes away.

There is absolutely no issue of your overdraft having an effect on the credit of the POD beneficiary. Her credit cannot be affected by your bank account. Nor is she responsible for your overdraft and the fees associated.

As you whether or not the bank is liable for sending the statements, you need to speak with an attorney. I practice in the Cincinnati area if you haven't already contacted one. My information should be available in my profile.

2. Seyed Abbas Kazerounian

Answered . You need to see a consume attorney and take the document that are describing as a pod with you