What can I do about harassment from my boss?

Falls Church, VA |

I work for a small business (under 15 employees) and have a very bigoted, narcissistic, racist boss/company owner. There are usually only 5 people in the office tops, and he is here about 75% of the time. He tells racist and sexist jokes very often. He stereotypes different races, calling blacks the N-word, Hispanics are all "Julios", Middle Easterners are "towel heads", etc. He curses (f**king, sh*t) and is very vulgar when talking about women. One day he repeated the details of a case we were dealing with to everyone he saw/talked to, and in such a vulgar way, I got a panic attack and had to leave the office. I get paid pretty well and if it weren't for the money, I would have left this job a long time ago. I'll be moving to another state soon and want to know my options.

This behavior crosses many lines and you should set up an appointment to meet with an employment law attorney in your locale. Most attorneys who agree to represent clients in these cases do so on a percentage fee of the amount they recover, rather than hourly attorney fees.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

Sounds like he's creating a hostile work environment and may be harassing you too. You could file an EEOC complaint or a complaint with the DC Human Rights Office if
you work there. I should say that prosecuting a case far away is difficult without the help of an attorney.

The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal advice, one must engage with a live attorney; this answer does not create such attorney-client relationship.

Business topics