What can I do about careless construction next door in Isla Vista, and is there any legal means of reducing rent because of it?

Asked 9 months ago - Goleta, CA

There is construction next door Monday-Saturday (literally 5 feet away for the whole length of the house), they begin as early as 7AM is this legal? They have blocked our driveway on multiple occasions and would not move, they move their fence a few feet over our property line every day after being told to move it back, we ask them to keep the dust down but they don't. Nails, dirt, sawdust, trash and cement and are in our sideyard, and on 3 of our cars there are hardened cement spots. We brought 1 car quote for over 2500 and got cursed out. The owner, landlord, and construction company is owned St. George, he owns over 90 houses in Isla Vista and acts as though he owns the whole town, what is the best way to approach this issue and is there any way to get reduced rent.


Attorney answers (2)

  1. G. Michael Brelje


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The County of Santa Barbara allows construction to start at 7:00 a.m. (see the link below, section 9.16.015)


    You may want to look into the City of Goleta's guidelines to see whether or not they are conflicting.

    Without having more information concerning the construction permit I cannot recommend the "best way" to approach the landlord. However, if the construction next door is being performed at the request of your landlord you can certainly discuss an abatement of rent due to the inconvenience and disturbance of your quiet use and enjoyment of the property. With that said, I do not see any facts that detail a habitability issue, but rather more of a nuisance and/or trespass problem.

    You may want to consult with local legal counsel and have a demand letter sent to your landlord. Best of luck.

    The information provided herein (i.e. answers and/or recommendations to questions posted on this forum) is for... more
  2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Many cities allow construction up to 7 days per week and from 7 am to 7 pm.
    If your neighbor's construction is interfering with your tenancy, you need to contact you landlord and report it. You might also try contacting the city about the materials being left in your yard. If they damaged your cars, you will probably have to file suit against the neighbor and the contractors.

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Renting property

Rentals are houses, apartments, or similar where the resident pays the building's owner for the right to live there, usually under the terms of a written lease.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,175 answers this week

3,588 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,175 answers this week

3,588 attorneys answering