Skip to main content

What can I do about an affidavit supporting order to show cause for contempt for child support?

San Bernardino, CA |

The cause is for not paying 2178.00 dollars in child support. If I pay the amount will I still have to go to court? The third page of the document has how much I'm behind and where to pay it. I want to fight this but don't have the time at the moment because I just started a new job. We had an agreement and she got mad and had me retro-ed 10,000.00 dollars in back child support. Not fair at all I just hope I can fight this.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Usually contempt for child support are pretty straight forward. Most are willing to drop it if you pay. A person can't simply set arrears retroactively. It must be a court order. You should consult with an attorney about what to do before you lose any leverage you have in the case.

    This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation. Call us for more information. 619.797.5456

  2. Please keep in mind that contempt are what are. Called quasi criminal charges as heard in family court. That means that if found guilty you could have to pay a fine, do jail time and/or have to do community service. This is not the type of matter to just leave to chance and try to wing it. Seek out a good local family law attorney immediately. Good luck!

  3. You can fight it. i'm confused is the contempt action for 2178 or 10000? If you have the 2178 then you should pay it to get out of the matter. Otherwise, you can oppose it. You should consult with an attorney.

    Maryam Atighechi is a family law, real estate and civil litigation attorney in Sherman Oaks, CA. 818-647-1152. Please be advised that although Ms. Atighechi is an attorney, the comments posted does not constitute legal advice. You should not rely on any advice or suggestions written and seek outside, independent counsel. An attorney-client relationship has not formed by reading the post.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics