What can I do about an affidavit supporting order to show cause for contempt for child support?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Bernardino, CA

The cause is for not paying 2178.00 dollars in child support. If I pay the amount will I still have to go to court? The third page of the document has how much I'm behind and where to pay it. I want to fight this but don't have the time at the moment because I just started a new job. We had an agreement and she got mad and had me retro-ed 10,000.00 dollars in back child support. Not fair at all I just hope I can fight this.

1. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

3

Answered . Usually contempt for child support are pretty straight forward. Most are willing to drop it if you pay. A person can't simply set arrears retroactively. It must be a court order. You should consult with an attorney about what to do before you lose any leverage you have in the case.

2. Michael Roger Schneider

1

Answered . Please keep in mind that contempt are what are. Called quasi criminal charges as heard in family court. That means that if found guilty you could have to pay a fine, do jail time and/or have to do community service. This is not the type of matter to just leave to chance and try to wing it. Seek out a good local family law attorney immediately. Good luck!

3. Maryam Atighechi

Answered . You can fight it. i'm confused is the contempt action for 2178 or 10000? If you have the 2178 then you should pay it to get out of the matter. Otherwise, you can oppose it. You should consult with an attorney.