What can I do about a tax lien that is not accurate?

A tax lien was filed January 2006. The amount of the lien filed was for $22,000. This lien has been on my credit reports for about 7 years. My documents do not support the amount above. My docs show at the time of the lien filing. I was owing about $32,000. I just received a letter, after being on a non collectible status for 7 years, and they are now saying I owe a total about $9,000, and due by April 15, 2013. Tax years 2002, and 2006. I do not know if this was triggered by a recent credit bureau dispute. I do not believe, their records are accurate. All my records for the years above contradict the IRS letter. I would appreciate some advice.

Danville, CA -

Bruce Givner

Bruce Givner

Tax Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

If the communications from the IRS give you the contact information for a revenue officer with whom you can have a conversation, then by all means talk to the RO and try to clear this up. Otherwise you should talk to a competent CPA or tax lawyer who can help short-circuit this process for you If you truly can't pay this amount, then you should consider submitting an offer in compromise. Just Google "offer in compromise" and the required paperwork will show up. Given the amount that you may owe - $9,000 - I would try to handle the OIC on my own if I were you.

Ronald J Cappuccio

Ronald J Cappuccio

Tax Lawyer - Cherry Hill, NJ

It sounds like the confusion is for different tax years. The lien may be for some of the tax years, not the entire balance. The reason the IRS is contacting you is you may be close to the expiration of the statute of limitations.

You need a tax attorney to negotiate with the IRS, get a transcript and help you either get into uncollectible status or set-up an installment agreement.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio
www.taxesq.com

856 665-2121

Related Advice