What can I do about a student loan that is 30 years old some one is still trying to collect.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Seattle, WA

in 2009 the IRS held my return of $4,800 to be claimed by the dept. of ed.TheIRS notified the dept of ed that they were holding that money for payment of the student loan that was taken out in 1983 or 1984. The IRS held this money for 2 years then wrote me a letter stating that the money had not been claimed and they would be returning it to me, this was last summer. Today I got a letter from the treasury dept. telling me they are garnishing my SSDI benefits by $74.38 a month. Ihave no information what collection agency is doing this nor was I informed of the alledged amount they think I owe.
Startinting in 1998? a collection agency garnished my benefit checks, every month for 11 years and said I still owed $4,600.00. what should I do? Thank you

1. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Pro

1

Answered . At some point years ago you should have investigated the issue, determined how much you owe, and perhaps made arrangements to pay. As it is, you let it go for years and most likely it has grown by 30 years of interest and fees. You need to do not what you did not do then - contact the proper agencies to get to the bottom of how much you owe, whether payments have been applied, whether you have been charged too much, etc.

2. Diane L Gruber

Pro

Answered . You are entitled to an accounting. Ask for an accounting of payments, interest and fees since you originally took out the loan. Good luck!