What can I do about a student loan I cannot afford?

Poughkeepsie, NY |
Filed under: Debt

I have 2 private student loans and a federal student loan, all through citibank. I've exhausted all my deferments and foreberances. I was on a graduated repayment plan that had me paying about $150 a month, which I was able to afford. When the graduated repayment ended, the payments doubled to almost $300 a month. I can afford to pay up to $200 a month, and have been paying that amount since the graduated repayment ended. I've fallen behind obviously now though, and owe a delinquent amount of about $1000. Because I am delinquent, Wells Fargo will not consolidate my loans. Citibank also will not consolidate the loans. Citibank also refuses to change any terms of the loan, so that we can make it a lower amount. What options do I have to save what is left of my credit score?

I am posting a link to the national clearing center regarding student loans where you can investigate whether there is any help for you.

Hope this perspective helps!

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt