Skip to main content

What can i do about a state tax lien thats on my credit report that is not mine

Canton, MS |
Filed under: Credit Lien

i check and the ssn do not match up with mine and call all the agency's and no one will do what is right and take it off

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Probably need more facts to determine why the MS Dept of Revenue would not remove a lien and clear up a debt that is not yours. If you have already spoken with them and with the credit reporting agencies, then it may be time to hire some professional help.

This response should not be considered legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed by this response, which reflects only the opinion of the author. The response should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question and could change if additional facts were made available.



If you can't get clarification from the state tax department, you may need to hire an attorney to determine what rights you have to bring an action against the state. Another route would be to dispute the lien with your credit agencies. They will contact the department and ask for proof to support the lien, If they don't get the necessary proof, they will remove it from your report. If they do get sufficient proof, then you may learn more about the basis for the lien than you currently know.

Unfortunately, without more information, that's the best information I can provide.

The comments provided are for informational purposes only and NOT FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to any responses contained within this site do not create an attorney-client relationship between The McCrory Firm, nor any of its attorneys, and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the observations of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney. Mr. McCrory is licensed to practice law in the states of Georgia and Tennessee with offices in both states. He is similarly authorized to handle matters involving the IRS throughout the United States. He is a member of the bar of the United States Supreme Court, the Sixth and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeal, the United States Tax Court and all federal courts in Tennessee and Georgia. He can be reached by phone at (703) 879-8330 or by email at


If you are getting the run around he may be time to hire legal counsel to represent you and possibly take legal action if necessary.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer