What can I do about a Relief for Cause NCOER

Asked about 1 year ago - Garland, TX

There was an investigation launched on me April 16, 2013 and I just recently got read on 21 June 2013. They didn't seek UCMJ punishment but I was relieved of duty as a Platoon Sergeant and told I would be given a relief for cause NCOER. Another PSG was accused of the same thing and investigated the same time received a letter of concern. I am not understanding how this is but he leaves in a couple of days. What can I do about the relief for cause NCOER because they are trying to hammer me on this with a 5 - 4 rating and gave me much and some improvement in three sections but counselings I received before this says I was doing an excellent job. The investigation into the one incident is the only thing in question but now they dragged my character as a leader into the NCOER as well

The officer who wrote the relief for cause NCOER never counseled me and the other platoon sergeant and I were investigated for leaving the area where a mission was taken place but we were never given any guidance into our role in the mission that is why we left the area. We were told that we were extra but when asked if we were needed everyone kept saying they didn't need us for anything but like I said, he received a letter of concern and I received a relief for cause. How can two people who get investigated at the same time for the same thing receive two totally different punishments. The one I received could end my career.

1. John Daniel Hafemann

Best Answer

Answered . You need to consult an experienced military law attorney who can help you appeal the NCOER. If you plan on making the Army a career, it is important that you address this. Additional information is available on my website. I would be more than happy to walk you through the process. The consultation is free. Best of luck.

2. Kelvin P. Green

2

Answered . Take a look at AR 623-3. It addresses Relief For Cause NCOERs. Unfortunately your NCOER and how they dealt with you does not have to match the other's unless there is discrimination based on a protected class.

You also have appeal rights but t has to be more than you disagree with the report. The reg tells you exactly what you have to do to have the appeal. You may want to hire an attorney to help or see if your local TDS can help.

Good Luck

3. William Emil Cassara

Pro

2

Answered . Mr. Green is correct that there is no requirement they treat the two of you the same. Your question is what you can do. You should go to the base legal office and seek their assistance in rebutting the NCOER. You should also consider retaining private counsel. Most of use here on AVVO offer free consultations and would be happy to discuss your options with you.

4. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

Answered . This is really a question for a military lawyer or a civilian lawyer with in depth familiarity with the UCMJ. I am going to move your question to the military law section of avvo so that you might get some better answers.

Please remember that that information you put up on avvo is public. So, the miliatary police and prosecutor also have access to what you post.

5. Gary Burton Port

Answered . The Fort Bragg Legal Assistance Office has this good reference on NCOER appeals - http://www.bragg.army.mil/directorates/osja/Leg...