Skip to main content

What can i do about a newspaper posting ONLINE my criminal records & it showing up any time my name is put into a search engine?

Grand Rapids, MI |

It seems that my shame is endless when a mistake was made a few years back. Now a newspaper has posted it on the world wide web and my name is tarnished due to the fact that it is found anytime my name is typed into a search engine. It is hard to get work and even improve myself in general.

More accurately, in what case would the company have to take down the article? If i ask them to take it down and they make it more public that is damaging to me and it seems then they would be viewed as interfering with my quality of life in some way, or as hurtful in the way it is being used.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You might consider a legal name change....

    I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

  2. You mistakenly believe that your name is tarnished because your criminal records are published online. The records are public.

    If this Answer was of assistance please mark it as "helpful." Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

  3. If the information is accurate, there isn't much you can do about it legally. Criminal records are public. From a non-legal perspective, you might try speaking with a reputable reputation management company. They can try to at least change the search results to get the listing off the front page so this is not the first thing people see when searching for your name.

  4. Assuming what the newspaper published accurately reflects the court's file, there's not much you can do because court files are public information. However, if the crime can be expunged or set aside then your attorney might take the court order setting aside the conviction to the newspaper management and ask them to remove the old information or publish the latest court order setting the conviction aside.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics