What can i do about a newspaper posting ONLINE my criminal records & it showing up any time my name is put into a search engine?

Asked 2 months ago - Grand Rapids, MI

It seems that my shame is endless when a mistake was made a few years back. Now a newspaper has posted it on the world wide web and my name is tarnished due to the fact that it is found anytime my name is typed into a search engine. It is hard to get work and even improve myself in general.

More accurately, in what case would the company have to take down the article? If i ask them to take it down and they make it more public that is damaging to me and it seems then they would be viewed as interfering with my quality of life in some way, or as hurtful in the way it is being used.

1. Gary Ralph Ilmanen

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . You might consider a legal name change....

2. Richard Allen Chapo

4

1

Answered . If the information is accurate, there isn't much you can do about it legally. Criminal records are public. From a non-legal perspective, you might try speaking with a reputable reputation management company. They can try to at least change the search results to get the listing off the front page so this is not the first thing people see when searching for your name.

3. Brian Curtis Pascale

Pro

4

Answered . You mistakenly believe that your name is tarnished because your criminal records are published online. The records are public.

4. Michael G. Walsh

Pro

Answered . Assuming what the newspaper published accurately reflects the court's file, there's not much you can do because court files are public information. However, if the crime can be expunged or set aside then your attorney might take the court order setting aside the conviction to the newspaper management and ask them to remove the old information or publish the latest court order setting the conviction aside.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now