What can I do about a new vehicle purchased September 2012 with less than 30k miles that has had to be towed 3 times in 30 days?

Asked 8 months ago - Rochester, NY

I purchased this truck new from a dealer. I have taken it in for all maintence services. In the last 30 days I have had to have it towed for service for the same problem. It is covered under warranty but I'm concerned this will be an ongoing issue. Do I have any rights with the manufacturer for a buy out of the loan or a replacement vehicle?

1. David Michael Kasell

Pro

Answered . The Lemon Law only covers new vehicles for 2 years or 18,000 miles-whichever comes first. You should take it back for warranty repairs for as long as you can. If the problems are serious enough you may be able to get the dealer and manufacturer to agree to extend your warranty or to replace the car or make some payments if you financed it.

2. Zachary Steven Maurer

Pro

Answered . You're not going to be covered under the Lemon Law, but dealers will often they to make their customers satisfied and requesting an extended warranty or some sort of credit back for the trouble is not out of the ordinary. Even the manufacturer may be willing to negotiate in order to establish some good will and loyalty.

3. Gregory H. Moss

Answered . In light of the fact that your vehicle has the mileage that it does, you may not qualify for the Lemon Law and as such may not be entitled to a refund or replacement but there is a federal law that would allow you to obtain cash compensation. We should be able to help you as we have a New York licensed attorney on our staff. Please contact me so we can discuss what documents are needed so we can review the file and inform you as to your rights. Thanks.