What can I do about a neighbor vandalizing, littering, trespassing and stealing fruit from our trees?

Glendale, CA |

I've seen her do this on numerous occasions. When we moved in to the house a few months ago the inspection passed. Today our sprinklers have been tampered with; meshed in crawl space breached; piles of bread crumbs near a crawl space (we now have a gopher); littering (tin cans and plastic bags (I've seen her throw); picking fruit trees; and breaking off branches and leaves from our rose bushes and leafy bushes; taking liberties with our water (muddy puddles in the yard in the morning from running the water hose-witnessed it very early this morning); Wires were pulled from light points and sprinkler set up. Surprisingly it is an old lady who claims she does not speak English. I confronted her told her to stop or I'll report her to the police. She keeps saying she does not speak English

Mostly criminal acts. Report those to the police. Contact an attorney about a restraining order. Stop making threats.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

I have contacted the police. Unfortunately I do not know who she or where she lives. The police have advise me to call them right away the next time she is on our property...it's only a matter of time I'll be able to get the permit to put a fence up and install surveillance. Thanks will look into these points.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

I thought you said she was a neighbor?

If I am not wrong I believe she lives two blocks from my house. Again I am new in this neighborhood so I'm not sure . She kept walking in different directions when I confronted her this morning. She lives in the neighborhood.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

Avoid the confrontation. Meet your sane neighbors. Who knows what you will learn?

A neighbor from the next street came by on moving day to let us know there are these occasional old women walking around taking fruit from the neighborhood. I was not alarmed at first it was when I can see her from my window emptying a pile of bread crumbs and throwing the bag on the lawn then go on to yank branches from bushes and run the hose ( as witnessed today with my own eyes ). It has been done before but no proof, no witnesses. I cannot allow such nuisance to carry on. It has to stop.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

A digital camera in your pocket could be useful. Very inexpensive. You are a witness, and that is testimony. Cultivate your neighbors, keep the conversations light, and learn what you can.

Thank you for the feedback a camera will have to do for now until I can gear up on permits,fencing and surveillance cameras on the property.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

The only caution I leave you with is to make no threats, even of calling the police. Just call, or don't call.

The police now have agreed to come out and take photographs and file a report . They want me to keep them posted and like you said have a camera handy.

Recommended articles about Real estate