What can I do about a license suspended for being in a not-at-fault accident with no insurance?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bloomington, IN

I bought a new car at the end of October, I couldn't afford to get insurance right away, but I knew that after Christmas I would have enough money.
On December 27, 2012, coming home from vacation, I was rear-ended. I called the police, I gave my statement, and we all traded information. Unfortunately, I still did not have insurance. The police officers did not give me a ticket, but the BMV is suspending my license for 90 days.

I now have insurance and need to drive to get to work (there is no bus stop by my house). I am wondering what I can do, if anything (like a hardship/probationary license)??

1. Michael David Babcock

3

1

Answered . Sorry...but there is nothing you can do. If you were driving and you knew you were not insured you are not able to get a hardship license. It doesn't matter if you were at fault for the accident or if the officer gave you a ticket.

2. Michael Shemtoub

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done in this circumstance. Steadfast rule is: do not drive if you do not have insurance. Fault does not matter, the fact that you did not get a ticket does not matter; these points are superseded by the fact that you were an uninsured driver who got into a car accident.

Pro

3

1

Answered . I'm sorry, no. Driving without insurance is illegal and puts yourself and others at risk.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. Burton A. Padove

Pro

1

1

Answered . Due to the short time frame of the suspension, I am afraid to say that there is little that you can do. I, myself was rear-ended in December and also received a letter from the BMV. Fortunately, all I had to do was show proof of insurance. The state takes its' financial responsibility laws very seriously. Perhaps you can arrange to car pool or even ride a bicycle if necessary with occasional cab rides. Pursuing a legal action would be cost prohibitive and not timely.