What can I do about a license suspended for being in a not-at-fault accident with no insurance?

Bloomington, IN |

I bought a new car at the end of October, I couldn't afford to get insurance right away, but I knew that after Christmas I would have enough money.
On December 27, 2012, coming home from vacation, I was rear-ended. I called the police, I gave my statement, and we all traded information. Unfortunately, I still did not have insurance. The police officers did not give me a ticket, but the BMV is suspending my license for 90 days.

I now have insurance and need to drive to get to work (there is no bus stop by my house). I am wondering what I can do, if anything (like a hardship/probationary license)??

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done in this circumstance. Steadfast rule is: do not drive if you do not have insurance. Fault does not matter, the fact that you did not get a ticket does not matter; these points are superseded by the fact that you were an uninsured driver who got into a car accident.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. Sorry...but there is nothing you can do. If you were driving and you knew you were not insured you are not able to get a hardship license. It doesn't matter if you were at fault for the accident or if the officer gave you a ticket.

3. I'm sorry, no. Driving without insurance is illegal and puts yourself and others at risk.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

4. Due to the short time frame of the suspension, I am afraid to say that there is little that you can do. I, myself was rear-ended in December and also received a letter from the BMV. Fortunately, all I had to do was show proof of insurance. The state takes its' financial responsibility laws very seriously. Perhaps you can arrange to car pool or even ride a bicycle if necessary with occasional cab rides. Pursuing a legal action would be cost prohibitive and not timely.

Mr. Padove is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Padove strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Burtonap@aol.com (219) 836 2200

Traffic tickets topics