What can I do about a car I bought 10 days ago, but broke down twice already?

Newport News, VA |

I bought a 2006 Chevy Equinox from Pomoco 10 days ago used. On the 5th day the car would not start. It took several tries. I took it to the dealer and of course it cranked right up. Yesterday, the car would not start at all after an hour of trying, so I had to have it towed to the dealership. And of course this morning it cranked right up. After doin some research I have found out that this is a common problem with this vehicle make. Chevrolet doesnt even know what exactly causes this. Whats legal rights do I have concerning the returning the vehicle back to the dealer?

Depends on the nature of your contract, any specific warranties etc. . You may want to contact a local attorney and chat, let him/her review your contract.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Thank you. We live in Virginia and the Eastern Virginia Legal Aid Society Website it states that in Virginia if you DO NOT get the AS IS statement on the front of your Byuers Order, and you DO NOT get the Buyers Guide, you have 30 days to cancel the sale. My grandfather financed the car, I am not on any loan papers, and it was NOT a Co-Signer situation. I signed the Buyer's Guide, he did not. Wouldn't that void it out since I am NOT the buyer? We also did NOT get a copy of the Buyer's Guide.

Mr. Rafter is a find consumer protection atty in your neck of the woods. You would be wise to get in touch with him for a low or no cost consultation.

Find him or someone else like him here:

http://www.calemons.com/national-locator/

http://www.calemons.com/

http://www.naca.net

I just went through that same nightmare with my Saturn Ion.
Seems like the 2005-2008 chevys/saturns have an electrical
problem where the computer doesn't read your key properly
and thinks you're trying to steal your own car . . . then shuts
off gas to the engine. The dealerships reprogram the on-board
computer ($225) and that does it. There are a lot of "hidden"
recalls with theses vehicles. Check the internet for the same
types of problems for mechanical advice. As for legal advice . . .
it would depend on your sales agreement and any warranties
you may have.

THIS ANSWER IS PURELY FOR ACADEMIC DISCUSSION ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ADVICE OR LEGAL REPRESENTATION.

Lemon law topics

Recommended articles about Lemon law