What can I do about a barking dog? They go to work and leave it out all day.

Asked almost 5 years ago - Long Beach, CA

We just bought this home and the dispute is with renters right next store. Much appreciated.

1. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . Go speak to them in a friendly way (and being a bottle of wine or something to ingratiate yourself and make them feel guilty for bothering you), and explain how annoying this is. Maybe they don't know that their dog barks so much when they're away, so you might audio tape the dog for a awhile and play them the tape so they can hear it for themselves. Then ask them to try some of the products out there made to deal with this, like one of these bark collars. http://www.petstreetmall.com/bark-collars/# Maybe you can buy them one and give it to htem so they have no excuse not to try it.

There are noise ordinances you can seek to enforce, and maybe you'll need to contact the property owner to see if these renters are even allowed to have a dog, but maybe this can be handled as a simple dog training issue and you can keep things on good terms with the neighbors without escalating it to the owner or to law enforcement.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Henry Daniel Lively

Answered . I completely agree with my fellow lawyers. Be careful with getting or suggesting a bark collar. Many dog owners consider this cruel and will get upset. Just the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.

This response does not constitute legal, accounting or other professional advice. Only through a personal, confidential consultation with qualified legal counsel can anyone properly evaluate their own unique legal challenges and determine what, if any, appropriate legal strategies and tactics should be implemented to meet those challenges.

Circular 230 Disclaimer - Nothing in this response is intended or written to be used, and cannot be used by any person for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties regarding any transactions or matters addressed herein. You should always seek advice from independent tax advisers regarding the same.”

3. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

Answered . I agree with Ms. Koslyn - it's best to try and handle this in as friendly a way as possible since you're pretty much stuck with each other. If they refuse to cooperate then you should call whoever handles animal control in your area and ask for their advice. You might also want to speak with the owner of the house.