What can I do? The other side ran a stop sign, but they are blaming me for the accident.

Beverly Hills, CA |

I was in an accident at a 4 way stop sign. The other car ran the stop sign and admitted fault at the scene, but now they are blaming me for the accident.

A lot of times the person that is at fault will change their story (or even worse the adjuster will lie). You should have the courage to fight for what you believe, which in this case is your version of the story. If you give a statement or "try to set the record straight" they will only try to use that against you. Instead you should get an attorney that is willing to fight for you...

We regularly take cases where there is disputed liability. The right investigation and the right questions at a deposition of trial can bring the otherside's lies to light.

For more information about our firm please see www.bdinjurylawgroup.com or call 866-99-52529........ Always consult with an attorney licensed in your State for more detailed information. I'm only licensed in California and my answers assume that California Law applies. Since a thorough interview and evaluation of the law and facts has not taken place, my answers are general in nature and not specific to your claim or situation. No attorney client relationship is created or established by this response. You remain responsible for all deadlines and time limiting statutes. The Avvo terms of use are incorporated herein by this reference.

Any evidence to prove that you weren't at fault? Any witnesseses? Any injuries??

Direct Line to Attorney: 877-427-2752 or Email: Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com; Website: www.KingofPi.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

What will really help you is witnesses. If no witnesses then the cars positions at the scene of thr accident. Also, if you retain an attorney, the insurance companies tend to back off because they know they are dealing with a lawyer who is equipped with knowledge and strategy. Hire an attorney.

Report it to your insurance carrier and they will handle it.

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

Do you have insurance? Are there witnesses? Was there a police report made?

I do not want to repeat what the fellow attorneys have stated but it is imperative that all evidence be secured. Was there a police report? Witnesses? Were you injured?

You should consult with an attorney immediately.

Is there a police report (Traffic Collision Report)? If you were injured then you need a lawyer. Definitely report it to your carrier. What is the basis of their blame against you?

YOu know what happened. YOu are a credible witness? Maybe in the end that will be all you have and often that is enough.
I assume you reported this to your insurance company. THey will take care of the issue involving property damage.
If you were hurt, get treatment and do whatever you can to get better. If you were hurt then you will need to hire an attorney to pursue that claim especially since the other side is now claiming they were not at fault.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

Let your insurance company sort it out