What can I do? is this legal malpractice.?

Asked over 1 year ago - Teaneck, NJ

In 2004 I was rear ended by a SUV in my car. I got 2 bulging disk 1 in my neck and one in my lower back. My lawyer and I was suppose to go to a disposition. That never happen. The case when to arbitration in 2008 I was never told this until today 4/17/13. I always had to call for updates I never got any information sent to me unless I called and even than all I get is you know these type of cases take a long time. I had 3 layers with in the same firm handle my case and never new it was Switching hands. The lawyer now tells me that my case has been closed because it went to arbitration & the car ins lawyer never sent in the $200 to the court along with the claim to file against the arbitrator.

Pro

6

1

Answered . What firm was this? Sounds like you need a legal malpractice lawyer.

2. David Brian Snyder

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. I would recommend that you contact the lawyer one last time to see if you are missing something. As far as the case which enhance between lawyers and the same law firm, that is usually not a problem. Some of the other complaints that you had are a better basis for a malpractice action.

3. Sean Michael Patrick

5

1

Answered . You should look on AVVO to find a legal malpractice attorney. They will need to review the records and determine exactly what happened. Best of luck.

4. Jeffrey E Strauss

3

Answered . By what you describe you were not adequately informed about the progress of your case. The case was in its final stage at the time of the arbitration since the court arbitration program requires a $200 fee to seek a trial de novo in NJ. We do not know the result of this arbitration. But quite candidly it sounds like the lawyer may have been negligent (committed malpractice) but cases involving only 3 bulging discs does not yet sound like it has too much value. This is said without knowing the treatments you had, the problems you have now, the type of insurance (Lawsuit Limitation?), the result of the arbitration, etc... so yes check with another lawyer asap but do not be too surprised if interest is low. Good Luck...

5. Matthew C Simon

Pro

1

1

Answered . Get copies of your records and go to a malpractice attorney in your area ASAP. Many offer free 30 minute consultations.