Skip to main content

What can I do? Can I sue EDD CA? And how?

Milpitas, CA |

EDD did not send me a check and have canceled my approved claim and will not reopen it. Its been over a month.
Check for week ending 4-25-09 was denied because I reported that I 'earned' money during the week ending 4-18-09 (this was my last week of work and I have to answer correctly on the form)
I understand not getting a check for the week 4-18-09, but should of got one for the week 4-25-09.
Next checks were denied and claim canceled because I didn't send requested info.
I was unaware of request because mail was mixed with roommate mail. I provided the info and reopen the file online (as per instructed)
I have not received anything since, I tried to contact EDD, but are impossible to get a hold of by Phone, Online or even by Mail (I even stated for them to contract me)
I need help

Attorney Answers 1


If you are asking about a suit for money damages, the government enjoys a number of immunities which would likely bar a claim for damages. You should pursue the administrative remedies available throught the agency, including administrative appeals. Once you have exhausted the administrative remedies you may be able to seek limited judicial review of the administrative decision which may entitle you to unpaid benefits but not money damages.

Mark as helpful

9 found this helpful