What can I do?

Pompano Beach, FL |

My daughter had a Car accident and unfortunately her insurance was cancelled with geico due to financial hardship and unemployment. The other driver hit me from behind and was ticketed. His insurance was being re-instated on the same day and he also has geico. His claims adjuster informed me there were coverage issues because his insurance was being re-instated. I am injured and my car a total loss. What other options do I have? Can I still hire an attorney?

1. The other party has legal liability exposure, regardless of whether there was insurance or not; although you obviously prefer there to be insurance. If GEICO was "reinstating" his insurance, that likely has to do with an issue relating to payment of premiums. If they already declared that the policy was being reinstated prior to or as of the date of accident, the carrier should not be able to change its decision because it later found out that an accident occurred. However, there are details regarding timing, etc, that can affect whether coverage will be available. Definitely consult with an attorney, who will aide you both with the injury claim and the insurance coverage claim.

2. It's never too late to speak to and hire an attorney. Ultimately the facts may pan out as to much being able to be done for you, but you never know. I've been handling personal injury claims in Florida since 1994. I see this scenario all too often. Was your daughter injured at all? Has GEICO made any final determination regarding the policy for the vehicle that hit her? Feel free to contact me or any other personal injury attorney in your area. There is still information that needs to be gathered to give you good legal advice.

3. Consult with a lawyer. They may able to get to the bottom of whether the coverage denial was accurate. Nevertheless, the at fault party is still legally responsible for causing an accident. A lawyer may be able to collect you get you car fixed, etc.

4. You should speak with an attorney. The attorney may be able to resolve the coverage issue.

5. Get in touch with an attorney right away. Go to the "find a lawyer" tab and look for one in your community.

6. You can hire an attorney, but if there's no insurance and the other driver has no money then you probably can't recover for your damages.

7. You can still retain an attorney to investigate, yes. Contact one of the lawyers in your state who answered above.

8. Yes, nothing prevents you from hiring an attorney.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

9. I would hire a lawyer so they can request all the insurance information to find out if what insurance companies are saying is correct. If you have car insurance you may also have uninsured motorist coverage from your personal insurance that will help you recover from your losses. Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer: To learn more about attorney Keith Ligori, please call our firm 888-254-7119 or visit our homepage at www.LigoriCappyLaw.com. Keith Ligori is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Ligori strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received. If you are interested with talking to Keith Ligori and asking him more detail questions about your crash or situation feel free to call him any time. We forward our office phones to Mr. Ligori's cell phone at nights and weekends so his clients or potential clients can contact him about your case. To learn more about Attorney Keith Ligori, please call our firm toll free at 888.254.7119 or visit www.keithligorilaw.com