Skip to main content

What can happen to me second offense driving without a valid DL?

Tampa, FL |

i was pulled over because my friends license plate light was out i need to know what to expect and advice to avoid jail time.... i am a full time college student and have a minimum wage job i do not have the extra cash for a lawyer.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You need to try and get a lawyer because you could be looking at jail time for a 2nd offense for the same crime. It would depend on how long ago the first one was and why you can't get a license. Call my office for more details.

    For more information or to set up a free consultation contact the Law Office of Corey Cohen at 407-246-0066 or visit our website at Twitter @cohenlawyer

  2. You really need to contact a local lawyer to assist you. College kids often do not take it seriously and end up either in jail or on their way to a three time habitual offender designation and a life time of worry. If you can not afford a lawyer then get a public defender as my colleague is correct you may be looking at jail if you get the wrong judge!

    Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at and put AVVO in the subject line.

  3. Driving without a valid license is a second degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 60 days in the county jail. That said, it doesn't normally result in an active jail sentence, but it could. Now, that is very different than a DWLSR - which is a first degree misdemeanor, and the third conviction will lead to a lengthy suspension and the possibility of an enhancement to a felony. You should talk to an attorney and figure out what your rights and defenses might be. Good luck! You'll get through it.

  4. I agree with my colleagues, you could be potentially looking at jail time for your second offense. My firm is located in Tampa and offers free case consultations in these matters. Our number is 813-830-2261.

    This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for informational purposes. The facts of each case are different and unique, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under attorney-client privilege, so that competent and quality advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions

  5. The majority of my practice is traffic charges and license issues in Hillsborough and the surrounding counties. You can call me for a free consultation at 813-225-2695.

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics