What can happen to me if I was arrested with the code 13-2904a1 per DV because it was my boyfriend but it was self defense

Lake Havasu City, AZ |

The witness said I attacked first but I did in defense and then he pushed me into a wall and I as well have bruises?

1. Any charge with a DV designation can have long lasting consequences. If you look up the statute it will tell you what level the conviction would carry (misd or fel and what class it is) and it will direct you to the statute where the maximum length of incarceration allowed is listed. It is in your best interest to review all evidence with an attorney in private and develope a strategy for combatting the allegations made.

This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, nor is it given as legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. Always consult with a licensed attorney regarding the specifics of your particular case.

2. A domestic violence conviction carries serious sentencing consequences, even when charged as a misdemeanor. I encourage you to retain private counsel as soon as possible to help prepare for your defense. Additionally, I suggest you stop discussing the facts of your case on an open forum like this. Good luck.

Kaitlin S. Verdura, Esq.
    Verdura Law Group PLLC
    www.verduralaw.com
    602.421.0515

3. Disorderly Conduct by Domestic Violence is a class 1 Misdemeanor. A class 1 Misdemeanor can be punishable with up to 6 months jail, three years probation, and up to $2,500 fine. A domestic violence designation may result in you loosing your federal rights to legally possess a firearm. In the Lake Havasu City Consolidated Court, substantial criminal fines are often imposed upon conviction in addition to any incarceration time.
    It is important to consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney to evaluate your case. An attorney can give an evaluation as to whether the self defense justification under A.R.S. 13-404 can be asserted and whether a reasonable person would believe that physical force is immediately necessary to protect him or herself against another's attempted use of unlawful physical force or whether it was reasonable for a person to use physical force because of past acts of domestic violence against the defendant by the victim under A.R.S. 13-415.