WHAT CAN HAPPEN IF YOUR ON PROBATION AND GET A DUI?

Asked over 2 years ago - Saint Cloud, FL

My boyfriend got pulled over for not having his headlights on he is on probation and he just found out his lisence was suspended as well but they charged him for dui becaase i guess he didnt pass their test because he he was on medication from an injury on his arm so that came up. what can happen? pleasse help me im trying to keep him out of jail or prison time

1. Tracey Lyn Sticco

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . If your boyfriend is on probation and picks up new criminal charges, those charges are treated not only as violations of his probation (VOP), but also as new, separate criminal offenses. What that means in terms of sentencing is the Judge could impose one sentence for the VOP, and later impose another sentence(s) for the new charges. A criminal attorney can advise him as to whether to admit or deny his VOP, whether to plea to the new charges (and when), and/or explore potential negotiations with the prosecutors assigned to his cases.

2. Don Waggoner

4

1

Answered . Your boyfriend could get jail or prison time, depending on what the charge is. He will most likely be placed in jail without a bond on the VOP. I do not know what to tell you except that he needs a good attorney. I handle all kinds of criminal cases in Osceola County and would be happy to consult with you on this matter. 407-846-8008.

3. William David Umansky

Pro

2

1

Answered . If you are on probation and get a new law violation it violates your probation and a warrant will be issued. Your boyfriend should retain a lawyer immediately so that when he gets picked up on new violation a lawyer can try and get bond on the matter!

4. Mitchell Scott Sexner

Pro

1

Answered . He is facing jail, not only for the violation, but also the dui. He needs a good local attorney to contest the dui, because if the State cant prove he was unsafe to drive, as long as the medication was legally prescribed he has a chance to win the dui